Saturday, September 11, 2010

HP House sets

Ok it's pretty well known among my friends that I am a Harry Potter fan. So of course when the first movie came out I noticed the house scarves and since I needed a project to do that wasn't school work I decided to try that. Now I've had some mixed results in my various efforts in creating house scarves. I never really followed a patten because it wasn't so much about making the perfect scarf. I'm not even really sure what it was about but I do know that I did need something to do that wasn't school related and I also needed something to do when I was watching TV or a movie. 


After a while I grew a bit more obsessed and decided got into costuming. I was determined to be Luna Lovegood for the book 6 release and decided that despite it being released in the summertime I was going to knit a Ravenclaw scarf. I started looking around online and I noticed a trend. People were making house sets consisting of a scarf, a hat, and a set of mittens or gloves. I also got into various color debates and the book colors vs movie colors for Ravenclaw. Eventually I found a wonderful pattern online at atypically.knit and I managed to get it finished in time but barely wore it and just carried it around in my bag because it just was much too hot to wear for more than a few minutes! 


After my success in knitting one house scarf I decided to knit one for each house. Each scarf has it's own little thing that is off about it but I love them all and I'm proud of the job I have done.
Gryffindor, Book Colors Ravenclaw, Slytherin, & Hufflepuff


While knitting my house scarves I thought why not knit my own house sets? Since I didn't wear a lot of knitted beanie hats I decided to knit ear warmer headbands and instead of mittens or gloves I decided on wrist warmers or fingerless gloves. 


I found  wonderful pattern via Ravelry for a double sided headband using double siding knitting. After a few bad attempts which were promptly taken apart I managed to get that finished as well. 




Then came the wrist warmers or fingerless gloves. I spent quite a while trying to find the right sort of pattern but the best designs that I found all required double pointed needles which have always seemed sort of intimidating to me. After asking the hp knitting LJ community I was greatly encouraged to try using DPNs and much to my delight and surprise I figure it out without too many problems. With that problem taken care of I decided on a pattern I found in Leaky Crafts and I think they turned out beautifully!
Now I finally had my own house sets!
Gryffindor:
Book Colors Ravenclaw:
Hufflepuff:


Slytherin:


And those are my HP house sets. If there are any questions about what type or color of yarn I used, links to the patterns I used, or any questions just leave me a comment!

4 comments:

  1. This seems so intimidating! I've been knitting for years but just the classic slip stitch. Now, I've decided to branch out and give this a try, and I've figured out the scarf all by myself, but I can't for the life of me find the appropriate patterns for the headband and wrist warmers (I've been screaming "BOLLOCKS!" all day, it's driving my mother mad). I know it's been forever since you posted this, but could you pretty please send me the patterns if you still know where you found them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What colors and yarn did you use for the Ravenclaw scarf?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What colors and yarn did you use for the Ravenclaw scarf?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What type of pattern did you use for the fingerless gloves?

    ReplyDelete